Sunday, July 13, 2008

How does mission change in your place?

I've just been updating my reading of Steve Taylor's blog, and noted an interesting blog from him on how mission changes over time (click here to read the blog). It got me thinking about how mission shifts in our church/es. What causes those changes? What new ministries effect them? Do we track them?

I'm currently in Wanganui for the Diaconal Convocation (more about that later) and was talking with Shirley Joy Barrow about what they have been developing. Two things I noted from this conversation: One is that a decision to meet a need will bring new opportunities; The other is that each family that is engaged by this ministry brings further changes. Ministry is not just the same package that is delivered a hundred times. Every person's need is different, and each need presents new challenges to that ministry.

I think Steve is onto something. Multiple places to engage the church can give more opportunities for people to engage meaningfully with the gospel.

No comments: