Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Withreach – a fresh look at ministry beyond the church doors

Some random thoughts:

Much of what I've been involved with as 'Outreach' isn't fun for me. I've often felt like a fake going out to 'get people for Jesus'. It doesn't feel natural, normal or effective.

I've had this feeling for a while (I guess that proves I don't have the gift of Evangelism), but I'm hungry for something that engages my Jesus-following mindset.

That's why I resonated with an article I read recently called "Outreach … or Withreach". The article pulled material from the website Withreach. Withreach has two bi-lines that effectively say what they are trying to do; "Connecting far beyond the limitations of Outreach" & "A Resource for Incarnational Ministry and Community Transformation".

There's a very worthwhile 10 minute read that seeks to find a definition, "Withreach: Part of our journey is the definition itself". For those with less time, there's an interesting table outlining the movement between the two here. It would be an interesting discussion starter at a leaders meeting or a home group!

My reaction: I'm not sure I like the term "withreach" – though it may grow on me. But I like the concept – and if a church was running with it, I'd like to get involved. More than that, I suspect it would involve me, get under my skin. This kind of thinking makes me change my language, the way I view people, the way I talk to my neighbours. I want to wrestle with the ideas of honouring others, incarnational listening, and transforming communities. I don't want to get involved in another program, but I want to know how to be a more faithful follower of Jesus.

This quote grabbed me: "There are great rewards found in incarnational listening, but it means we have to leave the throne of our own agenda and take the form of a visitor in another person's world. And since we are not the Holy Spirit, listening is the only way we can find out what He is doing there, what He wants us to cooperate with. Through incarnational listening the agent of transformation is also transformed."

Nigel

No comments: