One of the interesting questions which arose as part of my study on Profiles was around expectations for working time for ministers. Some parishes expect a minister to be available 24/7. Others expect that they work 6 days and make other arrangements for the ministers day off. Some people work in 'blocks' of time (a morning, afternoon or evening is a block) and work 10, 12 or 14 blocks.
This effects other parts of our work when we try to standardise an hourly rate (for example). Do we divide the stipend by 48 hours (as we currently do) or should we divide it by 40? What is half time - 2.5 days or 3 (and does that include Sunday services?)
Check out the survey on the left and pass on your responses, or click on 'comment' below and leave a note.
1 comment:
As I think I suggested in an email to you, Nigel, I don't resopnd with enthusiasm to any of the options. I think I'd prefer to think in terms of blocks or units - X units "at work", Y units "on call" and Z units "time off and not even on call" in each week.
I have kept timesheets at various times in ministry, down to quarter-hour segments, and I don't think they work for clergy. But we need to get a handle on something and I suggest blocks/units would be best.
Post a Comment