This week the Elim Christian College in Botany / Howick lost 6 students and a teacher in a tragic river accident (read more at the NZ Herald). Living near the school has made me aware of its impact. Students and staff gather at the school (on a main road) along with media, family and well-wishers. Other schools are effected as the young people were neighbours, relatives or even direct family members. Churches are reeling with the loss of young people. The whole community is in a numb state of shock.
And then if we didn't know the young people personally, we find out quickly that we know someone who did. The young teacher was involved in ISCF camps. Many of the student's parents worked in the community as teachers, pastors or in other professions.
And the nation is also in shock. As in all these larger-scale tragedies some part of us grieves with those involved. We recognise the loss of young talent and part of the hope of our nation's future, the pain of families and the devastation of a school community. This grief is public through direct media, an outpouring of public grief on blogs and facebook.
And the nation watches as a group of Christians grieve. Through the media they hear stories of faith and Christian courage. Some are confused that this kind of faith can hold up at times like these; Some struggle with the meeting of grief with a faith that brings peace; others know the depth of peace that faith can bring.
I wonder how I would react if I were one of these parents …
But I know how I react now; in one moment a news story catches my breath and brings tears to my eyes; in another I react with a confused anger and wonder 'why?'; in yet another moment I'm moved to heart-disturbing prayers for the family, friends, school, staff, board members and neighbours.
No comments:
Post a Comment